Sunday, May 3, 2009

Famous Dave's: Springfield, PA

Name: Famous Dave's
Website: http://www.famousdaves.com/
Type: Restaurant
Location: Springfield, PA
Occupancy: Multiple
Porcelain: Two toilets, one urinal

Famous Dave's is a wonderful BBQ joint that opened up a franchise in Springfield a few years ago. They make a great Cajun Chicken Sandwich, but my personal favorite is their "Devil's Spit" hot sauce. I wish I could buy that sauce and cook with it every night. So, you can spice your food, but can you give an enjoyable bathroom experience as well? Let's find out.

Cleanliness
Being as unbiased as possible, this place was only half clean. It certainly looks presentable, but the floor was a little creepy and the sink trash can was too full for my tastes. I will go halfsies here because it was neither immaculate nor disgusting.
Result: NO DECISION (0.5 points)

Privacy
The "hidden" factor here is wonderful. There are two stalls (one handicapped), and you are actually protected by the side walls! Also, between the adjacent urinal and the sink, there is a really great wall extension that lets you feel private. Add in that the bathrooms are tucked away in the back room and you have a great example of this category.
Result: PASS (1 point)

Flushing
Nothing out of the ordinary, although I only used the urinal and not the stall this time. Still, this wasn't a place that messed this part up (thankfully).
Result: PASS (1 point)

Dryers
Thank goodness, paper towels. Famous Dave's uses one of my preferred towel dispensers: one where a small shred hangs out and you pull down a pre-cut slice. Also, there is a side knob for manual feed if it gets all jammed (which it didn't in my case). Trash can in the sink is always weird to me, but at least it was close to the door.
Result: PASS (1 point)

Mirrors
There is one giant mirror over the two sinks, which is pretty typical for a restaurant. However, it was also tilted, which made me quite happy. You don't get full points if you can see your shoes, but 1/2 ain't too bad.
Result: NO DECISION (0.5 points)

Music
Overhead music! I throw a little party for myself every time I walk into a bathroom and hear music. Also, taking a page from the Tristan Ideal Bathroom Handbook, the music is also LOUDER than it is on the floor. GOOD JOB!
Result: PASS (1 point)

Reviewer Tilt
I can't bring myself to give full tilt points to anything less than a perfect (or mindblowingly original) bathroom, but they definitely earned a half. Also, the indicators for which bathroom to use read "Pointers" and "Setters", which is one of the more creative choices I have seen.
Result: .5 points

Score: 5.5 out of 7 (78.6%)


What This Means For You:
Famous Dave's storms up to second place (thus far) on my favorite/recommended bathrooms list. In addition to having a huge, delicious menu, they have made using the toilet a clean and pleasant experience. This can't be said in a not-gross way, but at a BBQ and ribs place, you NEED to be thinking about customers using the bathroom, so it's good to know they had attention to detail. A full tilted mirror and a little more cleanup would push this commode into the upper echelon, but for now it's still really great.

No comments:

Post a Comment